A BEST FRIEND

The house is quiet, the kids are sleeping in their beds and I sit here in the dark listening to the droning sound of the refrigerator motor humming. I found myself just sitting here unaware I was jumping in thought from my husbands expected arrival home any minute now, to "I wonder how many more weeks until the CCC college kids come home?". I thought about a friends recent surgery, Ben's guitar playing and how quickly he has picked it up, to Isaac's soon to be 2nd birthday. But I found myself resting....rather, visiting a friend in thought. We were sitting on our deck having a ice cold glass of tea. Her voice was as sincere and kind as it was sweet to listen to. It was fragile and shaky; letting me know there were years behind every word she spoke. Her laughter made known she was confident in who she was and that her life had been good. We stood many days on the boundary line where our yards touched just catching up with each other. She'd ask how "Richard" was and our children, and I'd ask her how she was getting along, where she was going for dinner this Friday, and her new hairdo. And once in a while she would share stories of her life. She'd tell of her father and mother building the house that set next door to mine, and how her memory could still hold tight to the rides she'd take on a flat bed horse drawn wagon up to Laurel DE. Rarely she would share her life she had with her husband, who had long since passed away. But when she did, I felt privileged. She would tell about the ring she wore and how he gave it to her. When she spoke of the memories of the hotels he used to own/manage her voice still held a deep admiration and respect for his business sense. But to see her eyes change in shape and gesture as she spoke of "my dear sweet husband" and fill up with tears just longing for the day to be with him, filled me with a gratefulness that my dear friend Irene, at 93 yrs old, would share her life with me. It's only been 9 months since she passed away and yet it seems like she is still here...as if I can walk out my back door and cross yards to knock on her door. Ms Irene never withheld thanks and gratitude for being friends and neighbors with me, and I couldn't express enough to her or others the blessing she is/was to me. My 10 years of friendship with Ms. Irene went by far too quickly. I long for that kind of friendship again.... she was wise, kind, calm, happy, funny...she was a lady like none I have ever met.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN SEARCH OF TABLES

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICK

COOKIES AND SANTA 2009